I'm breaking away from PH for this review, partly to mix it up some and also because after what felt like ages, I managed to identify this book.
I wasn't even sure it was a Point of any sort but I was reading it around the time of my early 2000s PH revival, so I guessed it might have been.
Then all I could remember was a seagull named Bono and a young boy. Plus a hot coloured cover. Randomly a title came up on eBay under Point Horror and boom! Chicka chicka! I'd found it!
I hope you read that in the style of Yello's "Oh Yeah" by the way...
This is very much based in the north east with Geordie-isms oozing through before North Tyne High or Newcastle United are even mentioned. "Kes" and "Geordie Racer" also squirmed up from the recesses of my mind. I almost expected a pamphlet to be issued for me to work through l was sent so much back to my school days!
Little snippets like asking a girl to a rave, hiding a zit, shy first love, the rumours on Monday morning at school, wondering if a teacher has ever done it along with someone's probably early copping off, really place this in the early 90s teenage years.
Against all of this normal teenagery is Tony and his terminally ill mum. She's had multiple sclerosis for many years and the story is intertwined with her last few weeks of life and how Tony and his family deal with her slipping away.
I didn't particularly remember it from reading it but there's a certain religious background as well. Partly because of Tony's dad being a vicar and also because of the symbolism of the eagle's strength and freedom.
Through Bono and his mum's passing he begins to realize that being out of your physical constraints brings freedom. Also, who bore who on whose wings? There's many "dual flights" in this book if you look closely enough.

Comments
Post a Comment